Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pre- Pooing 101

               After doing some  researching , I learned that pre -pooing is a very vital step in the natural care hair community. Below is a brief paragraph that I found on  http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/06/why-you-should-add-pre-pooing-to-your.html about why and what is pre- poo.  Every time we shampoo and condition our hair or even add significant amounts of water to our hair the hair shaft needs to expand in order to accommodate the extra water. When our hair dries the opposite occurs – the hair contracts. Repeating this process over and over again can create damage to the hair cuticle initially because it can be chipped off. Subsequent damage can be caused to the hair fiber leading to split ends and breakage. Textured hair tends to absorb more water during this process than other hair types and is therefore more susceptible to damage. This contraction and expansion of the hair fiber is known as hygral fatigue. How does this work? When coconut oil is applied to the hair as a pre-shampoo or pre-wetting treatment a small amount of the oil can be absorbed into the hair and can penetrate under the cuticle when the hair fiber swells. Coconut oil has a strong affinity for hair proteins and can protect the hair by binding to these proteins. This reduces the protein’s ability to bind to water molecules resulting in less swelling, less contracting and less trauma. 
         This site was very informative and I now know why this needs to be apart of me and my daughter's hair regiment. 
Organic Coconut oil  is one of the top recommended oil for pre- pooing so I went out and purchased it from my local Pathmark for $9.99. I also purchased Jamaican  coconut
black castor oil,  which I plan on adding with the coconut oil , along with Jojoba oil as my pre-poo regiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment